Schooner Gold Varnish QT
Advanced, High Build formulation for Applicators who prefer a High Viscosity product.
Schooner Gold is the latest varnish from Interlux, offering higher film build that allows both Professional Applicators and boat owners to achieve great results faster and in fewer coats. Schooner® Gold has shown to out-perform other leading brands and will offer superb longevity and durability.
- Advanced UV Technology
- Longest lasting one-part varnish - 12 months or more in Florida!
- Traditional amber color
- High build formulation achieves aesthetic results in fewer coats
- 333 Thinner -To ease application for roller and brush CLICK HERE
- 216 Thinner -Spraying ApplicationCLICK HERE
|Manufacture Part Number||YVA-500Q|
Write Your Own Review
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY INTERLUX SCHOONER GOLD MARINE VARNISH QT
APPLICATION: Brush, Roller, Conventional Spray
FINISH: High Gloss
NUMBER OF COATS: Previously varnished wood: 2-4 unthinned coats (4-6 coats if thinned).
Bare wood: 2 thinned coats, then 4 unthinned coats (6 coats if thinned).
COVERAGE: (Theoretical) – 582.1/gal by brush | (Practical) – 525.1 /gal by brush
THINNER: Brush – Brushing Liquid 333 | Spray – Special Thinner 216
|Temperature||Hard Dry||Touch Dry|
|50ºF||12 HRS||4 HRS|
|59°F||9 HRS||4 HRS|
|73ºF||6 HRS||2 HRS|
|95ºF||3 HRS||1 HR|
|50ºF||16 Hrs||1 Month|
|59°F||14 Hrs||1 Month|
|73ºF||12 Hrs||1 Month|
|95ºF||8 Hrs||1 Month|
Previously Varnished Wood
- In good condition clean with thinners; sand with 280-320 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding dust with thinners.
- In poor condition, remove all previous coatings. Apply 2-6 coats until a satisfactory finish is achieved. Sand after every second coat using 320-400 grade paper. Remove sanding dust with dust wipe.
- Sand smooth with 80-180 grade paper and then 280 grade paper. Clean surface by brushing, dusting or wiping. If wiping with solvent, then allow to dry completely before applying first coat of varnish.
Oily Woods (e.g. Teak)
- Must be adequately degreased (Brushing Liquid 333 is recommended) and prepared prior to the application of Schooner Gold.
- Prime, if required, with Clear Wood Sealer.
- If Clear Wood Sealer has been omitted, thin the first coat by 50% using Brushing Liquid 333. Apply the second coat thinned 25% with Brushing Liquid 333. Following coats can be thinned up to 15% dependent on ambient temperature, application conditions and personal preference using Brushing Liquid 333.
- Apply a further 4-6 coats (brush)/5-8 coats (roller), until a satisfactory finish is achieved. Sand after every second coat using 320-400 grade paper.
Stir thoroughly before use
- Use a clean brush that is kept specifically for varnishing. Clean brushes before use.
- Pressure Pot – 1-2 bar 14.5-29 psi (gun pressure), 8-10 psi (air pressure)
- Tip Size – 1.2/1.4 mm/47-54 thou.
- Thin 25-30% with Special Thinner 216
- Use thin nap roller and “tip-off” with a clean natural bristle brush or pad, otherwise air bubbles may become trapped in the film
Use above the waterline only.
Information sourced from the Interlux Schooner Gold Varnishes Application Guide.