Wholesale Marine carries marine varnish and stains to keep the wood on your vessel protected and looking new season after season. The Pettit Paint, Interlux Paint, and Sikkens Cetol brands will brighten and protect your boat’s wood finishes. Marine varnishes contain UV protectants, are durable, and are highly water resistance. Varnish is not only ideal for your boat, but also for use on all woods, and even your home’s interior millwork. Use Interlux Schooner Varnish on high-fouling areas, while Pettit Captain’s Varnish provides outstanding gloss retention.
Marine Varnish Protects Your Investment
Stain helps to reduce the number of varnish coats required to give wood surfaces that enhanced natural beauty. A popular choice is Pettit Specialty Marine Paste. To provide greater protection and to preserve teak and hardwood railings and decking, we recommend using Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Wood Finish.
The best marine varnish cannot provide optimal protection if it is applied to a poorly prepped surface. Here are some quick tips to ensure great results:
- Remove any old varnish with stripper or a heat gun.
- Fill gouges with wood putty and sand with the grain for a smooth surface.
- Tack rag surfaces before varnishing or staining.
- Using a badger hair brush, dip only half-way up the bristles and brush with the grain.
- Keep a wet edge.
- Figure on 6-8 coats minimal for varnish, one or two for stains as a base coat. Allow the base coat to dry for 24 hours before the next application. Be sure to let the top coat cure for 48 hours to allow it to dry completely.
Wholesale Marine’s team of boating enthusiasts will be glad to provide guidance when selecting the right marine varnish for your craft. In addition to solid advice and great customer service, we also offer a low price guarantee, same day flat rate shipping, and trouble-free returns. Be sure to ask about our Captain’s Club Rewards program! We’re here to assist Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM, EST at (877) 388-2628.