- Application: Use a long haired natural bristle brush. Apply in direction of grain.
- Number of Coats: 3
- Application Do's: Apply when temperature is between 50°F and 95°F | Saturate all end grains | Apply liberal coats | Maintain a wet edge | Apply in direction of grain | Use a long haired natural bristle brush
- Application Dont's: In direct sunlight | When surface is hot to touch | In wet weather | Moisture content > 18% | Below the waterline
Surface Preparation Procedures:
- New Exterior/Interior Wood:
- Wipe the wood with Interlux Special Thinner 216 to remove any natural surface oils and contaminants. Once dry, sand surface with 180-220 grit sandpaper, always sand along the length of the grain. Remove all sanding dust by vacuuming the surface.
- Wipe the surface with Interlux Special Thinner 216 and allow to dry before applying Cetol products.
- Note: If the wood is exposed for more than 24 hours, clean the surface again with Interlux Special Thinner 216 in order to remove any surface contaminants.
- Exterior/Interior – Previously Coated Wood (Non-Cetol Marine Products):
- Remove all existing coatings before applying Cetol. To remove old coating, either sand with 120-180 grit sandpaper or use Interlux Inter strip 299E chemical stripper specifically designed f or marine use.
- Once previous coating is removed, follow instructions for New Exterior/Interior Wood.
- Exterior – Weathered Wood or Previously Oiled Wood:
- To ensure proper adhesion of Cetol products on weathered or previously oiled wood, use Interlux Premium Teak Restorer with a nylon scuffing pad as per instructions on label. Be sure to rinse the wood well with clean water to remove surface dirt and allow to dry thoroughly. This should be followed by the preparation procedures for New Exterior/Interior Wood.
- Blue Fungi and Mildew:
- Persistent blue fungi or mildew may be treated by using Teak Restorer with a nylon scuffing pad as per instructions on label. Be sure to rinse the wood well with clean water to remove surface dirt and allow to dry thoroughly for three full days before applying Cetol Marine products.
- Follow preparation procedures
- Apply one coat of Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Wood Finish
- Wait 24 hours
- Apply second coat of Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Wood Finish
- Wait 24 hours
- Apply third coat of Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Wood Finish
Always allow 24 hours drying time between coats. All coats should be applied within a 1-2 week period.
It is not recommended to sand in between coats of Cetol on exterior wood. This will lower the overall layer thickness, which is very important for effective product performance. To achieve a non-skid surface, evenly sprinkle Interlux Intergrip 2398c Polymeric No-Skid Compound onto the wet surface immediately after applying the second coat of Cetol. If needed, do the same after the third coat as well. The addition of Intergrip 2398c will reduce the life of the Cetol Marine.
If a high gloss finish is desired, Cetol Marine Gloss can be applied after the initial application of three coats of Cetol Marine. Cetol Marine Gloss should never be applied on a deck as the surface will become dangerously slippery when wet.
- Before application of a maintenance coat of Cetol, clean the entire surface with Interlux All-Purpose Boat Soap to remove any surface contaminants as per instructions on label.
- If mildew is present, use Interlux Premium Teak Restorer with a nylon scuffing pad, as per instructions on label. Be sure to rinse the wood well with clean water to remove surface dirt and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Cetol Marine Gloss should be sanded to a dull finish using 220-320 grit sandpaper. Remove all dust before applying the maintenance coat of Cetol Marine.
- Apply a coat of Cetol as visually required.
- Before application of the maintenance coat, wash the surface with Interlux All-Purpose Boat Soap, as per instructions on label, then sand the surface lightly with 220-320 grit sandpaper. Be sure to remove all sanding dust with a vacuum. Once clean, apply the maintenance coat.
Information sourced from Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Application Guide.
Click to Download Sikkens Cetol Marine Finish Application Instructions