VHF Marine Radios
VHF marine radios are required on vessels by the United States Coast Guard, and although most boaters will never use them, in an emergency situation, a marine radio can literally be a lifesaver. As a rule, most boaters venture out on the water when water and weather conditions are pleasant. However, as all boaters know, storm fronts and swells can develop unexpectedly. Inclement weather is not the sole reason these radios are required equipment. There is always the very real possibility for an accident while water skiing, tubing, or simply diving off the stern.
Boat certification classes will cover what to do in an emergency. Wholesale Marine cannot implore our clients of the importance of knowing what to do when a carefree day boating takes a turn for the worse. Here’s how to call for help:
Digital Selective Calling (DSC) Radio: DSC MAYDAY
Procedure for VHF Channel 16 MAYDAY:
- Tune VHF marine radio, to channel 16.
- Distress signal "MAYDAY", (3x).
- The words "THIS IS", (once only).
- Name of vessel in distress (3x) and call sign or boat registration number, stated just once.
- Repeat "MAYDAY" and the name of the vessel, only once.
- Give position of vessel by latitude or longitude or by bearing (true or magnetic, state which) and distance to a well-known landmark to assist a responding station in locating your vessel. Include any information on vessel movement such as course, speed and destination.
- Nature of distress (sinking, fire etc.).
- Kind of assistance desired.
- Number of passengers onboard.
- Additional information to facilitate rescue, such as vessel size, persons requiring medical attention, color hull, cabin, etc.
- Say the word "OVER" when finished.
Stay connected to the radio. The Coast Guard can locate you faster if you are transmitting a radio signal that rescue boats or aircraft can detect. Repeat at intervals until an answer is received and help is on the way.
Wholesale Marine has everything boaters need for a day out on the water. In cases of emergency, we stock VHF marine radios from leading brands including Uniden, Standard Horizons, and Garmin. Reach out to us Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM, EST at (877) 388-2628 with questions. Ample selections and top-notch service are just the beginning. Join our Captain’s Club Rewards Program to receive additional discounts as a reward for being a loyal Wholesale Marine customer.