MerCruiser Impellers and Water Pumps
Some of the most reliable water pumps and components for any boat are built by MerCruiser. If your craft has a MerCruiser outboard, its water pump will be one of its key parts. Keep your boat’s pump in top shape by maintaining it at least once a year. Water pumps and impellers have a service life, however. When yours require replacement, it is time to contact Wholesale Marine.
Wholesale Marine carries replacement MerCruiser impellers, and water pumps for most every generation MerCruiser from Sierra, and Mercury-MerCruiser. While most boaters prefer to have a reliable marine technician inspect and replace their boat’s water pump, here are the steps to take for determined DIYers and technicians alike:
Replacing Your MerCruiser Water Pump:
- Drop the gearcase to access the water pump housing. This requires removing the
- Locate the bolt under the trim tab. Mark its position to make its reassembly easier.
- Using a fitting socket on the four mounting bolts, remove the water pump assembly.
- If your MerCruiser impeller’s vanes are no longer straight, it needs to be replaced.
(Tip: Fresh sealant on the gaskets will reduce reduce leaks.)
- Push new impeller into the housing liner twisting slightly clockwise.
- Place impeller key flat on the driveshaft, then lower the housing and impeller assembly into place. Do not over-tighten the mounting screws.
Water pump impellers are one of more vulnerable pump assembly parts. MerCruiser impellers should be inspected once a year, or every 100 hours, and replaced as needed. Impellers are a series of rubber vanes that are molded around a hub which rotates. Friction, corrosion, water, sand, disuse and heat can all abraid and degrade the rubber. Also, when the vanes are bent, this is an indication that replacement is required.
Keep your engine running cool with help from Wholesale Marine. Whenever your MerCruiser Water Pump requires repair or replacement, come to Wholesale Marine. We carry every part for your MerCruiser outboard including circulating pumps, thermostats, and temperature senders. If you have a question, our customer service reps will be glad to assist you. Be sure to ask them about our Captain’s Club Rewards Program for additional discounts the next time you shop at Wholesale Marine. Give us a call at (877) 388-2628, or try our user friendly Online Parts Finder for help locating the correct parts for your outboard. We’re here Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST and look forward to serving your boating needs!