Boat Rub Rail
Boat rub rails are used to protect your hull where it is joined to the deck. Rub rails take a beating from docks, passengers, and other damaging elements. The installation of boat rub rails is a quick way to upgrade and to preserve your investment. Wholesale Marine stocks the best rub rail brand in the business, Taco Marine, and offers advice on replacing your vessel’s rub rail system:
When it is Time to Replace Your Boat's Rub Rail
1) Buy the length you need. Either remove the old rail and measure it, or double the length of your boat plus the beam measurement for the proper length of boat rub rail.
2) Remove the old rail, if you have not already done so. If you have an older boat with an aluminum rail, carefully remove any self tapping screws by drilling out the heads first.
3) Remove excess silicone and sand any raised surfaces left by the previous installation.
4) Fill any remaining holes with epoxy filler, and let cure.
5) Install the new boat rub rail on a warm, sunny day. Begin by soaking the rail in warm water for ½ an hour. If the rail cools during the install, warm it with a heat gun or hair dryer as you work for optimal results.
6) The next step is a two-person job. Mark the middle of the rail and with your assistant stretching the rail and holding it in place, proceed to insert three truss screws, each an inch and a half apart. Progress in this manner around the boat. There is no right or wrong place to start or to end, just bear in mind to keep going so that the rail does not have time to cool and shrink in size.
7) Once the rail has been tacked to the boat, install fasteners every 3-6 inches apart. Larger boat rub rails will require shorter spacing to prevent a wavy appearance. Be sure to bed the screws in a bead of sealant as a waterproofing maintenance.
8) Next, soak the insert in warm, soapy water for 10 minutes.
9) Install the end cap in place, mark and drill pilot holes and use a countersink to prevent cracking. Bed these screws in sealant also.
10) Lastly, fasten end cap and you’re done.
Should you have a question about our selection of marine components including Taco boat rub rails or wish to place an order, just call us Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM at (877) 388-2628.