Pettit EZ Prime High Build Topside Undercoater Pettit EZ Prime is a high-build formula that dries quickly and is easy to sand. This undercoater should be used as a base coat whenever the surface...Choose Options
FREQUENTLY BOUGHT TOGETHER
Total Price:Add to Cart
Pettit EZ-Wood Sealer
Marine wood sealers are used to seal raw wood surfaces to help prep for painting and varnishing. Boat wood sealers help to provide a more uniform surface for applying other finishing products such as topside or bottom paints.
Pettit EZ Marine Wood Sealer is formulated to work on all types of wood surfaces and provides a moisture barrier to help stop peeling. Boat wood sealers prevent primers, paints, and varnishes from being absorbed into the wood surface. Pettit marine wood sealer is easy to apply on all types of wood surfaces such as teak and mahogany. Once boat wood sealer is applied, it is recommended that you sand the surface before applying finishing products such as topside primers or paints. Pettit EZ-Wood Sealer is safe to use under all Pettit, Z-Spar, and Shipendec products.
- Seals open wood grain providing a more uniform finish
- For all woods including teak, mahogany, oak, ash, fir, and plywood
- Prevents excessive vehicle absorption from primers, paints, or varnishes
- Excellent penetration into raw wood for improved stability and moisture resistance
- Color: Clear Amber
- Coverage: 500 sq. ft/gal.
- Method: Brush, Airless or Conventional Spray
- Number of Coats: One or two
- VOC: 419 g/l as supplied
Pettit Brush Thinner: For brush application. Also used as a thinner on very hot days at 5-10% by volume.
Pettit Spray Thinner: For spray application. Use up to 20% by volume.
How to Apply Pettit EZ Wood Sealer
Make sure to stir EZ Wood Sealer prior to application. Thinning is not typically required, although on very warm days you can use Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner at 5-10% by volume to ease brushing and maintain good flow. When spraying, use Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner up to 20% by volume. Do not apply EZ Wood Sealer on extremely humid days or when rain is threatening. Wood must be clean, dry, and properly prepared prior to varnishing or painting.
- Application Method: Brush, airless or conventional spray
- Number of Coats: 1-2
- Dry Film Thickness per Coat: 0.8 mils
- Wet Film Thickness per Coat:2.6 mils
- Application Temp: 20°F - 95°F
|Temp||Tack Free||To Recoat|
|95°F||1 hour||2 hours|
|75°F||2 hours||4 hours|
|55°F||4 hours||8 hours|
|35°F||8 hours||16 hours|
Surface Preparation & Application
- Bare Wood
- Sand surface completely smooth with 220 grit sandpaper. Wipe surface to remove residue.
- Apply a coat of Filler Stain per the label to achieve a smoother finish on open grained woods.
- Let dry overnight.
- Skip the last two steps if filler stain is not desired.
- Apply a generous coat of EZ Wood Sealer. Let it dry overnight and sand thoroughly with 220 grit sandpaper.
- On especially rough or porous wood, a second coat may be applied.
- If second coat is applied, sand the second coat as well and wipe surface clean.
- Varnished Wood in Poor Condition
- Remove all varnish with a paint and varnish remover or by sanding.
- Bleach the wood if necessary to remove water stains.
- Proceed with the system for bare wood shown above.
- Oily Woods/Bare Teak
- Sand the wood smooth with 120 grit production paper to open up the grain.
- Wipe the surface thoroughly with Pettit 121 Spraying Thinner to remove as much oil as possible.
- Apply a generous coat of EZ Wood Sealer.
- After a six hour dry, lightly sand the surface with 220 grit sandpaper.
- Apply your finish as per label instructions.
California Residents: WARNING Cancer and Reproductive Harm - P65Warnings.ca.gov
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Google Product Type:
Customers Also Viewed
Interlux Interprotect Epoxy Barrier Coat Kit - Gray Applying Interlux 200E can help protect hulls from damaging water absorption that can cause long-term, costly repairs to your boat. Interprotect...Choose Options
Pettit Protect Gray High Build Epoxy Barrier Primer Coat Pettit Protect Epoxy Primer is a heavy-duty, dual component epoxy coating best used where maximum resistance to fresh or salt water is a...Choose Options