How To Install Attwood Sahara Automatic Bilge Pumps
You Will Need:
- Hose and thru-hull fittings (sold separately)
- Two (2) hose clamps suitable for (3/4” or 1-1/8”) hose
- AUTO/OFF/MANUAL dash-mounted control switch
- In-line fuse connector and appropriate size fuse
- Three (3) stainless steel #6 x ½” self-tapping screws, round or pan head. Use a #32 drill bit for pilot holes.
- Four (4) wire butt-connectors for 16-gauge wire.
- Two (2) insulated spade terminal connectors for 16-gauge wire.
- Suitable means to make electrical connections waterproof
- Cordless drill
Pump Mounting Instructions
- Make sure the hull thickness is at least 1/2 “thick. If not, place a block of ½” marine plywood (slightly larger than pump base) in the lowest part of the bilge. Be sure that the pump cover can be removed for cleaning in this position. Glue the plywood to the hull with a waterproof adhesive.
- Position the pump in the lowest part of the bilge on a flat, level surface (on the plywood block if it has been installed) with the outlet pointing toward the transom.
- Be sure outlet nozzle is level. If pointed upward or downward, an airlock may form in the pump.
- The float end of the pump must be level with or above the pump end. This prevents the pump from running out of water while the float is still high enough to activate the pump.
- Mark location of the three (3) mounting holes with a pencil or scribe.
- Carefully drill two 1/8” diameter pilot holes in marked area and drive a screw in each hole.
- Slide hose clamps (one to clamp hose to the pump, the other for the thru-hull connector) over the end of the hose. Force hose over the discharge nozzle of the pump. Install clamp.
- Route hose on an upward incline to the thru-hull connector. Avoid dips in hose that can trap water, and airlock the pump. Avoid putting excess tension on the hose, which can damage the pump outlet.
- Force the hose over the thru-hull barbs and clamp into place.
Thru-Hull Connector Instructions
- If no thru-hull connector exists, choose a location for the fitting.
- Position thru-hull fittings at least 12” above the water line to prevent water from coming back into the hull. On sailboats, mount the thru-hull high enough on the center of the transom to be above the water line at all times.
- Place fitting, if possible, on the same side as the steering wheel so the driver can see discharge of water when the pump is working properly.
- Drill hole to match outside diameter of the thru-hull connector thread.
- Place a small bead of suitable marine sealant around inside of the thru-hull connector flange.
- Insert thru-hull connector through the hole and tighten to hold the thru-hull connector firmly in place. Do not overtighten the nut.
Information sourced from the Attwood Sahara Series Automatic Bilge Pump Installation Instructions