FREQUENTLY BOUGHT TOGETHER
Total Price:Add to Cart
Pettit Captain's Varnish Traditional Marine Varnish
Pettit's Captain Varnish is a favorite among traditional marine industry professionals. Captain's Varnish 1015 is highly regarded for its ease of application, outstanding gloss retention and tough yet flexible durability. A combination of phenolic and alkyd resins blended with tung and linseed oils provide excellent performance. It's warm, light amber hue will enhance the rich, classic bright work appearance. Contains ultraviolet absorbers and filters.
- Traditional warm, amber color
- Provides outstanding gloss retention
- Extra U.V. protection
- Extremely durable finish
- Easy to apply
- Resin: Alkyd/Phenolic
- Oil: Linseed/Tung
- Coverage: 585 sq. ft/gal.
- VOC: 410 g/l as supplied
How to Apply Pettit Captain's Varnish
Do not shake varnish. Stir gently before application, being careful not to introduce air bubbles into the varnish. Captain's Varnish can be applied by brush, conventional, or airless spray. Thinning is not typically required, although on warm days you can use Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner at 5-10% by volume to ease brushing. When spraying, use Pettit 121 Spraying Thinner up to 20% by volume.
- Application Method: Brush or spray
- Number of Coats: Bare Wood: 4 minimum | Existing Varnish: 2 minimum
- Dry Film Thickness per Coat: 1.5 mils (3.1 wet mils)
- Application Temp: 40°F Min / 90°F Max
|Set-to-touch||Tack Free||Dry Hard|
|90°F||1-3 Hours||3-5 Hours||8-12 Hours|
|70°F||2-4 Hours||5-7 Hours||12-20 Hours|
|50°F||4-8 Hours||12-16 Hours||24-48 Hours|
- Bare Wood
- Sand surface completely smooth with 180-320 grit production paper. Wipe surface to remove sanding residue.
- For new work on open grained wood, the use of Pettit or Z-Spar Past Wood Filler Stain is required to achieve a smooth finish. Let dry overnight.
- For new work on closed grained woods such as pine, maple, spruce, etc. the use of Wood Filler Stain is usually not required.
- Apply a generous covering coat of Pettit Clear Sealer. Let it dry overnight and thoroughly sand with 220 grit sandpaper.
- Apply at least four coats of Captain's Varnish.
- Let each coat dry overnight, sand with 220 grit sandpaper and clean off residue before applying the next coat.
- Sand the next to last coat with 400 grit production paper and clean off sanding residue before applying final coat.
- Varnished Wood in Good Condition
- Wipe old varnish with Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner to be sure all dirt, wax, polish, and/or grease has been removed.
- Thoroughly sand the existing varnish with 180-220 grit production paper and wipe clean with a tack rag.
- Apply at least two coats of Captain's Varnish.
- Let the first coat dry overnight, sand with 400 grit sandpaper and clean off residue before applying final coat.
- Varnished Wood in Poor Condition
- Remove all the old varnish with a paint and varnish remover or by sanding.
- Bleach the wood if necessary to remove water stains.
- Proceed with the system for bare wood above.
- Bare Teak (or other woods with high oil content)
- Sand the wood smooth with 120 grit production paper to open up the grain.
- Wipe the surface thoroughly with Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner in an effort to aggressively remove as much oil as possible.
- Apply a generous coat of Pettit Clear Sealer.
- After an overnight dry, lightly sand the surface with 220 grit sandpaper and wipe it clean with a rag dampened with Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner.
- Apply at least four coats of Captain's Varnish.
- Let each coat dry overnight, sand with 220 grit sandpaper, and clean off sanding residue before applying the next coat.
- Sand the next to last coat with 400 grit production paper prior to applying the final coat.
California Residents: WARNING Cancer and Reproductive Harm - P65Warnings.ca.gov
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Google Product Type:
- High Gloss
Customers Also Viewed
Interlux Brightside - High Gloss Polyurethane Topside Marine Paint Interlux Brightside Paint is a hard-finish, high gloss, one-part application polyurethane topside finish. This paint offers...Choose Options
Pettit Hi-Build Marine Varnish with U.V. Filter High Build Varnish 2056 is a high performance varnish designed to be built up to many coats for a deep, rich, mirror-like finish. The phenolic resin...Add to Cart
Pettit Easypoxy (EZ-Poxy) High Gloss Topside Marine Paint There are a lot of choices when it comes to topside marine paints, however, Pettit is an industry leader in creating superior marine grade...Choose Options
Pettit Hydrocoat Waterbased Bottom Paint Pettit Hydrocoat is an eco-friendly water-based marine bottom paint that meets all local and state regulations. It is formulated with no harsh smells or...Choose Options
Pettit Odyssey HD Ablative Antifouling Bottom Paint Pettit Odyssey HD Bottom Paint is a multi-season antifouling paint that combines controlled polishing ablative technology with a high copper...Choose Options
Pettit Vivid Ablative Antifouling Boat Paint When it comes to bottom paints, Pettit leads the way in innovation and high-quality bottom paints. They are committed to providing their customers with...Choose Options
Sea Hawk Captain Jack's Fast Flash Varnish Quart Sea Hawk Captain Jack's Varnish is designed for high quality work with outstanding durability and results with a fast drying time. The combination of...Add to Cart