Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak Finish
Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak with Next Wave UV- absorbing technology is a durable translucent protective wood finish for use above the waterline on interior and exterior woods. Next Wave technology is the next generation of Cetol Marine from Sikkens with a unique UV-absorbing package, which is specialty resins and advanced UV absorbers that provide greater protection, durability and longevity. Cetol Marine provides a flexible breathable finish along with weather protection for teak and other hard woods all with ease of application and maintenance. It is formulated with Next Wave technology, special alkyd resin and high quality synthetic UV-absorbing pigments which shields wood against damaging UV rays. Cetol Marine Natural Teak is a rich golden color that will enhance the natural beauty and grain of wood, offering the traditional classic look that every boat owner loves.
Cetol Marine Natural Teak Finish can be used on exterior and interior hardwood varieties such as teak, mahogany and oak. Cetol products should only be applied above the waterline.
- Finish: Satin
- Number of Coats: 2-3
- Coverage: Approx. 360 ft²/gal
What is Next Wave technology?
***CAN ONLY SHIP TO THE CONTIGUOUS 48 STATES ONLY***
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY INTERLUX SIKKENS CETOL MARINE NATURAL TEAK FINISH
APPLICATION: Use a long haired natural bristle brush. Apply in direction of grain.
NUMBER OF COATS: 3
APPLICATION DO’S: Apply when temperature is between 50°F and 95°F | Saturate all end grains | Apply liberal coats | Maintain a wet edge | Apply in direction of grain | Use a long haired natural bristle brush
APPLICATION DON’TS: In direct sunlight | When surface is hot to touch | In wet weather | Moisture content > 18% | Below the waterline
SURFACE PREPARATION PROCEDURES:
New Exterior/Interior Wood:
- Wipe the wood with Interlux Special Thinner 216 to remove any natural surface oils and contaminants. Once dry, sand surface with 180-220 grit sandpaper, always sand along the length of the grain. Remove all sanding dust by vacuuming the surface.
- Wipe the surface with Interlux Special Thinner 216 and allow to dry before applying Cetol products.
Note: If the wood is exposed for more than 24 hours, clean the surface again with Interlux Special Thinner 216 in order to remove any surface contaminants.
Exterior/Interior – Previously Coated Wood (Non-Cetol Marine Products):
- Remove all existing coatings before applying Cetol. To remove old coating, either sand with 120-180 grit sandpaper or use Interlux Inter strip 299E chemical stripper specifically designed for marine use.
- Once previous coating is removed, follow instructions for New Exterior/Interior Wood.
Exterior – Weathered Wood or Previously Oiled Wood:
- To ensure proper adhesion of Cetol products on weathered or previously oiled wood, use Interlux Premium Teak Restorer with a nylon scuffing pad as per instructions on label. Be sure to rinse the wood well with clean water to remove surface dirt and allow to dry thoroughly. This should be followed by the preparation procedures for New Exterior/Interior Wood.
Blue Fungi and Mildew:
- Persistent blue fungi or mildew may be treated by using Teak Restorer with a nylon scuffing pad as per instructions on label. Be sure to rinse the wood well with clean water to remove surface dirt and allow to dry thoroughly for three full days before applying Cetol Marine products.
- Follow preparation procedures
- Apply one coat of Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak Finish
- Wait 24 hours
- Apply second coat of Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak Finish
- Wait 24 hours
- Apply third coat of Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak Finish
Always allow 24 hours drying time between coats. All coats should be applied within a 1-2 week period.
It is not recommended to sand in between coats of Cetol on exterior wood. This will lower the overall layer thickness, which is very important for effective product performance. To achieve a non-skid surface, evenly sprinkle Interlux Intergrip 2398c Polymeric No-Skid Compound onto the wet surface immediately after applying the second coat of Cetol. If needed, do the same after the third coat as well. The addition of Intergrip 2398c will reduce the life of the Cetol Marine Natural Teak.
If a high gloss finish is desired, Cetol Marine Gloss can be applied after the initial application of three coats of Cetol Marine. Cetol Marine Gloss should never be applied on a deck as the surface will become dangerously slippery when wet.
Exterior - Before application of a maintenance coat of Cetol, clean the entire surface with Interlux All-Purpose Boat Soap to remove any surface contaminants as per instructions on label. If mildew is present, use Interlux Premium Teak Restorer with a nylon scuffing pad, as per instructions on label. Be sure to rinse the wood well with clean water to remove surface dirt and allow to dry thoroughly. Cetol Marine Gloss should be sanded to a dull finish using 220-320 grit sandpaper. Remove all dust before applying the maintenance coat of Cetol Marine.
Interior - Apply a coat of Cetol as visually required. Before application of the maintenance coat, wash the surface with Interlux All-Purpose Boat Soap, as per instructions on label, then sand the surface lightly with 220-320 grit sandpaper. Be sure to remove all sanding dust with a vacuum. Once clean, apply the maintenance coat.
Information sourced from Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine Application Guide.
Customers also viewed