Bimini Selection Guide Find the perfect biminiClear
1) Boat type:
2) Boat width:
3) Bimini height:
Many smaller recreational craft sport a Bimini top to provide shelter from intense sun as well as light rain and salt spray. Biminis enhance boating enjoyment while protecting boaters and their equipment. Bimini Tops hail from the island of Bimini in the Tropics where its location by the equator mandates serious sun protection. The top consists of a metal frame and fabric top that installs easily and collapses when not in use.
Over time the fabric will degrade, necessitating the replacement of your Bimini top. When this happens, know that Wholesale Marine has a wide selection of Bimini Tops for many pleasure craft and pontoon boats. A Bimini top install is a job you can do yourself with an assistant. Here’s an overview to give DIYers an idea of what is involved:
Step-by-Step Bimini Top Installation
What you’ll need:
- Bimini top
- Eye straps
- Waterproof caulk
- Tape measure
- Chalk line
- Power drill and bits including countersink bit
- Manual screwdriver set
- Box-wrench set
This is where a second pair of hands is required:
Position the Top
- Extend the top and have an assistant hold it in place. Check to ensure that the new deck hinges align with the holes made for the old top. If they match, position and reuse the holes. If not, measure, mark, and drill new holes for the deck hinges. IMPORTANT: Measure to ensure that the deck hinges are exactly opposite each other and parallel to prevent binding when top is folded down.
Mount the New Deck Hinges
- Mark mounting holes and ensure that the underside does not have any wires or hoses in the way.
- Drill holes and chamfer with a countersink to prevent gelcoat cracking.
- Bed the surface with a marine sealant to ensure holes are waterproof.
Install the Top and Eye Straps
- Bolt main bow bases to deck hinges. Extend the fore and aft web straps to align with web straps to form an M-shape on each side.
- Mount eye-straps horizontally: Mark, drill, embed, and mount fore and aft eye straps with self-tapping screws.
- Attach snap-hooks to eye straps and adjust buckles evenly.
- Extend the top to check positioning and adjust if necessary.
- For tops with Adjustable Aft Stays: We recommend purchasing a zippered boot for storage when not in use.
Wholesale Marine carries a wide assortment of Bimini Tops in numerous sizes and colors from top brands such as Monster Tower, Attwood, and Taylor Made. To keep your Attwood Bimini top clean and dry in storage, we recommend that you also purchase its Storage Boot. This is constructed from the same Sunbrella acrylic fabric as the top and features non-corrosive zippers for years of use. You might have questions about which top is best for your boat or need assistance with your Bimini top installation project. Just call us (877) 388-2628. We’re here Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST and welcome hearing from you.