Interlux Perfection Plus Yacht Varnish
A high performance clear polyurethane, offering multiple solutions from one product, Perfection Plus delivers the ultimate in clear wood coating performance. The chemical cure urethane formulation combines with a best in class UV Absorbers and HALS package to offer outstanding chemical and abrasion resistance, and superb gloss and gloss retention that lasts four times longer than conventional one-part varnishes. Perfection Plus can be applied directly to all woods, including oily timbers such as teak. When spraying, Perfection Plus can also be used in combination with Perfection Topcoat, as a glaze coat, to increase flow, leveling and durability.
Perfection Plus contains an advanced flow additive. This special blend of solvents, incorporated into the formulation, is designed not only to aid application but also to help you achieve a professional end result.
What are HALS?
Hindered Amine Light Stabilizers (HALS) do not absorb radiation; instead they protect the coating resin from the harmful effect of photochemically-produced "free radicals" by neutralizing them, hindering chemical degradation. HALS regenerate themselves during the neutralization process, and go on providing protection throughout the lifetime of the coating.
What are UV Absorbers?
UV Absorbers soak up detrimental UV rays from sunlight, converting them into heat, which is then dissipated through the surface of the coating.
- Area: Above the waterline
- Finish/Sheen: High Gloss
- Number of Coats: 2 - 5 (First coat thinned).
- Method of application: Brush / Conventional Spray / Roller
Interlux Paint Reducing Solvent: Thinner for brush application.
Interlux Paint Reducing Solvent - Spray: Thinner for spray application.
***WILL SHIP GROUND ONLY TO THE CONTIGUOUS 48 STATES ONLY***
|Manufacture Part Number||YVA-950KITQ|
HOW TO APPLY INTERLUX PERFECTION PLUS YACHT VARNISH
APPLICATION: Brush, Roller, Conventional Spray
FINISH: High Gloss
NUMBER OF COATS: 2-5 (First coat thinned).
The number of coats should be increased if applied by roller.
COVERAGE: (Theoretical) – 13.3 /lt | (Practical) – 12/lt
THINNER: Polyurethane Retarder Thinner No. 9, Polyurethane Spraying Thinner No. 10
|Temperature||Touch Dry||Hard Dry||Pot Life|
|50°F||10 Hours||24 Hours||4 Hours|
|59°F||7 Hours||24 Hours||3 Hours|
|73°F||4 Hours||16 Hours||2 Hours|
|95°F||3 Hours||12 Hours||1 Hour|
|Temperature||Minimum Time||Maximum Time|
|50°F||24 Hours||4 Days|
|59°F||14 Hours||3 Days|
|73°F||6 Hours||2 Days|
|95°F||4 Hours||1 Day|
Previously Painted Surfaces
- In good condition (two pack only), wash down with a suitable liquid detergent, rinse with warm fresh water and allow to dry.
- In poor condition (two pack only), remove all previous coatings and prime the substrate. All single pack material must be removed as this product must not be applied over single pack products.
- Wipe down surface with Polyurethane Retarder Thinner No. 9 to remove any contaminants. Sand smooth with 120 grade paper, followed by 240 and finally 320 grade paper.
- Remove sanding dust by brushing, dusting and wiping. If wiping with solvent, then allow to dry completely before applying the first coat.
Note: Any sanding residue remaining on the surface can impair the finish.
- Prime, if required, with Fast Cure Clear. If Fast Cure Clear has been omitted, thin the first coat by 20-25% using recommended thinners.
Oily Woods (e.g. Teak)
- Must be adequately degreased and prepared prior to the application of Perfection Plus. Polyurethane Retarder Thinner No. 9 and Polyurethane Spraying Thinner No. 10 are suitable for degreasing purposes.
Mix Ratio – 2:1 by volume (as supplied)
- Stir individual products prior to mixing.
- Mix the base and curing agent of Perfection Plus together at the specified mix ratio.
- Add Curing agent to the Base, stir, and leave for 10 minutes to allow bubbles to disperse.
- Avoid using direct from the can. Pour the amount you expect to use in a separate container.
Note: Any initial cloudiness will disappear upon thorough mixing.
- Ensure the surface is completely dry before applying the first coat.
- Thin the first coat by 25% using recommended thinner. Then apply a minimum of 4 full coats.
- Alternatively, apply minimum of 4 coats of Fast Cure Clear (first coat thinned by 25%); then apply a minimum of two coats of Perfection Plus.
If Used as a Glazecoat over Perfection Finish
- Apply 1 full coat of Perfection Plus if used as a glazecoat over Perfection Finish. Except is used over white, off white or cream Perfection Finish.
- If used over white, off white or cream Perfection Finish, Perfection Plus should be blended 50:50 by volume with Perfection Finish for the final coat.
- Reduce viscosity to 14 seconds, DIN 4 cup, Zahn #2 or equivalent.
- Pressure – 3-4 bar/45-60 psi
- Tip Size – 1.0-1.4 mm
- Use foam rollers. For best results when applying by roller, smooth off with a pad or brush
Note: Avoid painting in direct sunlight and humid conditions.
Information sourced from the Interlux Perfection Plus: Varnishes Product Guide.