Starting At $156.18
Starting At $181.95
Starting At $141.61
Starting At $196.69
Starting At $149.95
Our Price $25.60
Starting At $165.95
Starting At $163.18
Starting At $133.95
Starting At $112.19
Your boat’s hull and keel are especially vulnerable to damage from rough waters and abrasive surfaces such as sand, rocks and jetties, boat ramps, docks, and sea beds. The best way to avoid scrapes and scuffs which can damage your boat’s gelcoat finish is to install a keel guard. Wholesale Marine carries a large assortment of KeelGuards by Megaware in an array of colors to match or complement your hull. These guards can be installed by a DIYer with ease.
The keel guard is a composite PVC-based extrusion with UV inhibitors. This material has been tested by independent laboratories and 3M for durability and provides:
- Protection against abrasive surfaces, especially concrete boat ramps
- Helps to eliminate or reduce need for repairs due to gelcoat-finish breakdown
- Reduced wear and tear means increased value for your investment
How to Install a Keel Guard
The Megaware KeelGuard is simple to install; however, following the instructions below exactly and in order is important. Be sure to install the guard when the temperature is 60º or above. The guard will be mounted 4 to 6 inches above the waterline on the bow, ending 2 to 3 feet or more beyond the lowest point of the Keel. Order your guard length accordingly. Should your craft require protection above the Boweye, Wholesale Marine recommends using a separate Bow Guard as well.
1) Surface prep: Using Shurhold Moldaway, clean the keel to remove any mold, rinse and follow with an abrasive pad to lightly sand the entire surface. Be sure not to damage the gelcoat. If you want to use a sander, use a 180-grit sandpaper or lighter.
2) Wearing rubber gloves, thoroughly clean the area with alcohol or acetone. Rinse and dry with soft cloth or rags.
3) Apply keel primer; be sure that the entire area where the guard will be installed is well-primed to ensure a strong adhesive seal.
4) Remove the backing lining the guard about 2 to 3 feet at a time, to expose the adhesive tape. Align the keel guard with the center of the keel and press it on with your hands or using the supplied burnishing tool. Make certain that it is centered. Once the adhesive touches the primed surface, the bond is permanent. Pull back the protective strips one side at a time -no more than 3 feet at a time- and press on manually or using the burnishing tool. Work from the center out so no air is trapped between the hull and the adhesive. Adhere one side up to 3 feet, then the other. Work toward the rear in 3-foot sections until completed. After installation, burnish the entire keel guard using heavy pressure.
Wholesale Marine has everything boat owners need to protect their investment and ensure season after season of recreation on the water. Give us a call and be sure to ask about the special programs we have for our customers including flat rate shipping for $6.99. We’re here Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST at (877) 388-2628.